Friday, January 7, 2011

[December 26] Dortmund, Germany: The Day I Accidentally Deleted All Of The Photos For... >:(

The day after Christmas was a big, busy day. I took A LOT of pictures, A LOT of AWESOME pictures, and then, since I can be an idiot, I deleted them ALL! YAY! 

>:( I am still so angry with myself. But oh well, they're gone... luckily, C's dad had some pics, so all of these in this post are thanks to him!

MORNING: In the morning, we went to a service at a Catholic church. I was kind of excited, because I'd never been to a Catholic service before. Even though it was in German so I didn't understand anything, that was still okay. I had a nice time humming along to the hymns, even if they were weird and melodically unpredictable (which is sometimes a good thing but these were just... eh...) so it was a nice little 'challenge' for me to read the music... Considering I don't especially like organized religion, I really liked the organization and ceremonial aspects to the service.

After the service, C's family and I and some of C's other relatives all went to visit the grave of C's grandmother. The cemetery looked gorgeous all covered in snow. Sadly, my pictures.... GRR...

AFTERNOON: We met a lot of C's family at a restaurant for a nice Christmas lunch. Wow... I feel like I met so many people, whooooosh! Lot's of German filling my ears. I really do enjoy listening to the sound of the words, but after awhile I tend to zone out a bit because of course, no matter how hard I listen, nothing means anything. (That sounds so deep... "no matter how hard I listen, nothing means anything" hahaha). 

I really liked talking to one of C's uncles. Well, C had to act as our interpreter. But it was neat because he played violin so we had a little bit to talk about. I got the feeling that he though if he spoke very, very slowly and clearly in German, it would help me understand. Ha ha. (I know a lot of people do that with English too... "DO... YOU... SPEAK... ENGLISH...???").

EVENING: After the lunch, we went to visit C's grandpa who lives in a retirement home. I really liked talking to C's parents about his interesting life. Then we visited a nearby cathedral that is one thousand years old!:



THEN... We went to a Winter Wonderland in a park with a ton of cool Christmas lights and art. I had SO many awesome pics but... >:(





One of my favorites:






<3

1 comment: