Saturday, January 8, 2011

[December 31] Århus, Denmark: New Year's Eve!

December 30th was spent traveling form Dortmund --> Hamburg --> Århus, to where my Aunt and Uncle live. I made a stupid mistake and got off at the wrong Hamburg train stop at which no one working there except a random traveler spoke English, so I had to take another train to the right stop, then wait almost four hours at the train station, which was really cold and busy, busy, busy. I was pretty mad at myself because the mistake was really obvious later. But, I finally got to Århus. 

On New Year's Eve day, I went with my Aunt because she did the polar bear plunge! They don't call it that but a bunch of people get together and run into the ICY water all naked! BRRRR! I couldn't even go in the water in summertime!







Don't look at ME—I am NOT goin' in there!

Mmm...

Later that evening, I went with my Aunt and Uncle to a gathering of their friends. It was really nice that I could go along with them and meet everyone and experience what they typically do. There was a really nice, delicious dinner, and we sang songs in between courses. Really fun! Eating took basically the whole evening, ha ha. When it gets closer to midnight, everyone went upstairs for champagne and to get a better look at the fireworks. I think fireworks for New Years are a lot bigger deal here than in the States, maybe because we get it out of our systems on the 4th of July?!

Godt Nytår fra Danmark!

No comments:

Post a Comment