Saturday, January 1, 2011

[December 3] London: Changing of the Guard @ Buckingham Palace

I'm not sure why I waited so long to go see the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace, but now I'm glad that I did, because I got to see the palace looking so icy. I think those soldiers look great in the snow!

There were SO many people there to see the changing. It was hard to catch a glimpse at first. I really had no idea what to expect, but I can say that it was a lot cooler than I expected!


Only a small part of the crowd:

There was a marching band that was part of the ceremony, which I didn't realize would be there, and it added a lot of 'excitement' for me.







I thought the changing was over, so I went on a little walk around the palace:


Yes, it was really, really cold. Beforehand I went to Starbucks for a gingerbread latte and it was cold by the time I walked through the park to the palace. My lip gloss even froze and I couldn't get any out of the tube!





I got to wear my cool new boots:

Then I realized that the ceremony wasn't over and something else was happening. I went up to the gate and got a pretty cool view this time. I had my face right up to the bars but when these two guards walked closer and closer, I backed up a bit. They're tall and so official-looking! I was a bit scared! Ha ha. One of the guards below said very gruffly, "GOOD MORNING."






I felt so happy just taking the bus to get a latte, walking to Buckingham palace, and walking through the park afterwards, just alone and content. :) It just felt so London-y!

No comments:

Post a Comment